Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Pager

I carry a pager for work. But then, I haven't had my pager with me for a while. I forgot to wear it one day. Not on purpose, mind you. I simply didn't think to put it on that morning. I didn't even realize it until I got home from work that night and saw it sitting on my dresser. "Oh well," I thought, "it didn't matter much. I haven't been paged in months anyway."

I first got the pager about four years ago when I was doing a different job function on a different project. I didn't have a cell phone of my own back then. I'd had one before, but I gave it up to MG when she went on the road traveling a lot. Back in those days I could expect to get paged just about daily, sometimes several time daily.

Then I went to a different project where I got paged less often (but I got a cell phone again while I was there). For the 18 months before this last August I was on still another project, and I almost never got paged. In fact, it was around June when I forgot it that day I mentioned previously.

So I decided to try an experiment. I left my pager at home for a week. I would check it daily when I got home, but I never got a page. Why would I? I had a cell phone and voice mail. Most people knew to call me on one of those anyway.

Then I left it at home for a month. Then two. Then … well, you get the idea.
This morning I decided to bring my pager with me to work. The plan was to find the time to walk down to Tech Services at some point during the day and turn it in. I'll give you three guesses what happened today.

I got paged three times across the day.

Three.

There's an old joke that I was reminded of recently. 'Q: How do you make God laugh? A: Make a plan.'
__________________

Trivia Time

Rules are here. Email your answers here. Ready? Let's begin.

1. What is the capitol of Canada?

2. Former presidential candidate Gary Hart watched his chances capsize and sink due to some 'monkey business' with what woman?

3. What is the significance of 'Monkey Business' in the previous question?

4. What 1985 movie did Oprah Winfrey co-star in (hint: Danny Glover was in it too)?

5. A German tourist recently ended up in Montana due to a mix-up when purchasing his airline ticket on-line. Where did he intend to go?

No comments: