Saturday, August 19, 2006

Assessment

I'd planned on a 25 to 30 mile ride yesterday. I hadn't been on the bike since hurting my knee last Saturday, so I wanted an easy ride. John B. had wanted to go as well, but he ended up getting bogged down in pre-vacation errands (they left fo the beach today). I'd decided to go to the Bike Zoo and get a new helmet to replace my other one. The suspension had developed a crack in it, so out with the old and in with the new. I was also supposed to pick up a disc of photos that Elle said she'd have there for me.

My plan from there was to ride the Third Creek Bike Trail over to downtown, and then maybe head south from there. I went in to get the helmet and my plans changed rather quickly.

Gary: "Did you hear about Elle?"
Big Guy: "Um, no. What about Elle? I noticed she's not here."
G: "Yeah, she had a bad wreck last night on her bike. Broke her clavicle, three ribs, and her pelvis."
BG: "Yikes!?! Where is she now? How is she doing?"
Steve: "We just heard from Vick. They've got her a room finally. He's over there with her now."
BG: "I guess I'll head over there before riding then."

Steve sold me a new helmet and I headed over to UT Hospital to see Elle. Meryl and Vick were there with her, and had been with her for a while. Elle was still as upbeat as always, even though she was obviously in a good deal of pain (and having some nausea from the pain meds). Vick left when some other friends of Elle's showed up with her daughter, and Meryl and I left about an hour after I'd gotten there when even more friends showed up. Elle is a popular person. Part of that whole 'being upbeat' thing, I'd guess.

It was too late to ride south of town as it was getting too close to 5:00, and the heavier traffic that goes along with that. Instead I headed to the Boulevard hoping to get in 15 to 20 miles. I met up with Caroline and ...um... well, I don't know her name, but she teaches at UT and is a friend of Caroline's. I rode 20 miles with them at an easy recovery ride pace and didn't push the knee too hard.

I went out again this afternoon and rode 24 miles on a loop from the house. between the two rides, I can now say this much. The knee is ... ehh ... OK, I guess. It's a little tender when I push a little to get over a hill or something, but I can compensate for that a little in other ways. The biggest thing I've found is related more to the three months I spent off the bike. I have power, but no endurance. That is, except for the times when I have endurance, but no power. But then again, there are times when I have just a little bit of power, and a smattering of endurance. I certainly don't have both at the same time, but at least I don't seem to be bereft of both at once entirely, either.

I feel like I usually do in early Spring. I've got a lot of work to do.

No comments: