Wednesday, August 16, 2006

On Wounded Knee

Somebody sent me an email yesterday. I didn't get it until today because I got home and promptly fell asleep for several hours, and then had to go to the post office and grocery store and then to sleep (well, at least I tried to get to sleep, but a long nap late in the day really messes up my internal clock). I never got to email or anything, so the message - and this post - had to wait until today.

The subject of said email was, basically, "Hey, Big Guy," (except they used my real name.) "How's your left knee doing?" Well, let me tell you.

My left knee feels great. I'm not limping on it at all today (or yesterday, for that matter). It isn't sore at all. It hasn't been popping or creaking or anything. I feel like I could run several miles on it, or even ride a century with it, with no problems at all. Yes, all in all I must say that my left knee is doing quite well, so thanks for asking.

(You know where I'm going with this, don't you?)

My right knee, however, has been a mess. That isn't really all that surprising to me, considering that the right knee is the one I injured on Saturday. Still, it has been getting better, especially since I've been giving it a rest and not forcing it to go on any long runs or rides like the left knee is trying to talk me into.

It hurt a lot on Sunday, but I tried my best to hide that at the wedding shower I went to (the better to avoid having to tell the injury story several dozens of times. I think only one person noticed my flinch at one point as I stepped wrong, but they were nice enough to not make a big deal of it after I threatened them with bodily harm and mental anguish. (I didn't actually threaten them with bodily harm or mental anguish - as far as you know).

Monday was a little better, as I was able to stay at my desk for a large part of the day and stay off of it. It still gave me little twinges as I moved around a little, but nothing so onerous that I couldn't handle it.

Yesterday it was better still. I was back to spending more time in the field, but didn't have to stress it too much. I could still feel it - oh yeah - but the pain was less and certainly not constant.
Today it felt almost normal, except for one little painful episode when I missed a step off of a curb. Yeah, I felt that all right. I think I'm about ready to get back on the bike again, and in fact have plans to do so on Friday morning. I'll be taking it as easy as I can to start with to hopefully prevent re-injury. I truly don't want to spend the next several months dealing with yet another nagging injury.

But yeah, the left knee is doing fine (so at least I've got that going for me).

3 comments:

RC said...

well at least your left knees good...maybe your friend just wanted to hear some good news.

hope your elbows are doing well too.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Big Guy on a Bicycle said...

Yeah, the elbows are good. Thanks.

Caffeinated Librarian said...

So, are you feeling any better now?