Friday, October 13, 2006

Takin' Care of Business

A busy day, but a good one. Hard to get started, though. I guess I was up to late last night.

Mrs. Guy and I rented movies last night and decided to watch one late in the evening. She wanted to see “Failure to Launch”, which she’d picked out. I wanted to watch “Hidalgo”, since I knew she’d be asleep before the end anyway. “Oh, no I won’t.” Oh, yes she was. Still, it was a pretty good movie (I loved the mountain biking bit).

So I was dragging a bit this AM. I finally got going at 9:00 or so, but it was tough. I worked on some Halloween Cocktail Party invitations (doing them all myself since I couldn't find any I liked at any of the stores). It’s a lot of work since I had to get 18” x 24” stock to get the right thickness, and I have to cut them down to 8” x 9” to get them through my printer and then cut them to 4” x 9” to mail them out (printing two per sheet). Still, it’s a lot cheaper than buying preprinted invitations, and I have complete creative control.

I was going to go out and get a lot accomplished this morning, but it became apparent that I wouldn’t even make it to the shower before noon. Since my buddy Todd was going to come borrow some camping gear between 12:30 and 1:00, I figured I’d just go after that. He arrived just in time to get the first invitation delivered by hand (the rest will be mailed – stamps are cheaper than the gas it would take).

I hit the road at about 1:15 and did a couple of errands for Mrs. Guy first. Then I was free to go to the Bike Zoo to leave a jersey that Wally J. wanted to borrow for a cyclocross race. That might have taken all of 2 minutes to do, but I ended up staying down there for over an hour. There were too many friends down there to talk to, and I even set up a photographic training session for Elle to be conducted by Daniel and me during the upcoming 12 Hour Race.

And then I did the one thing I really wanted to get done today. I headed downtown to the County Clerk’s building. After wandering around the building searching for the right office, I finally found the Business Tax office. And now, $20 later, I am the owner of D&G Crawford Photo/Graphics, which will be in the photography and graphic arts business. Too bad I can’t retire from my main job to do this full time.

The first “job” I’ll do will be at the 12-Hour Race. Should be fun. I’ll be sure to give a full report.
_________________________________________

Answers for October 5 Trivia

1. What's the name of the cartoon character and his "pet" stuffed tiger that graced the comics pages for several years. Man, I used to love Calvin and Hobbes in the daily paper. And the fact that his dad was an avid cyclist was a real bonus. For a current comic featuring a cyclist, check out "Frazz".

2. Which author owned the house where six-toed cats enjoy sanctuary to this day? One of the great things about my trip to Key West was the tour of the Hemingway House. Ernest had a whole posse of them back in his day, and I thing most of their progeny are still there.

3. What is the capital of Australia (negative points if you answer "A")? Canberra. I've never been there, but I'm told that Sydney and Melbourne are more interesting anyway. When I make it to Oz I will still have to go, though (just to see for myself).

4. Which actor lent his voice to help make "Shrek" come alive on the silver screen? Shrek, the only ogre I know of with a Scottish accent, was voiced by Mike Meyers (of "Wayne's World" and "Austin Powers" fame).

5. Name the female characters featured in the game "Clue"? I am extremely disappointed that nobody got this one, especially since they even made a movie based on the game. The ladies are, in no particular order, Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, and Miss Scarlett (which is the one Mrs. Guy usually picks - I usually end up as Professor Plum).

(This one was Mrs. Guy's.)Bonus Question: Who drew the characters mentioned in Question One? Bill Watterson. Why did he ever have to quit? It makes me really appreciate the longevity of Charles Schultz.

No comments: